Milk with Turmeric
I grew up having golden milk almost every day. When I was small, health drinks weren’t so common those days. So, my mother used to make for me milk with turmeric and nuts almost every day. Out of these, golden milk was the most common; it is delicious and packed with many health benefits. I make it even today for my family because of its goodness.
What is Golden Milk?
Golden milk, also known as haldi doodh in Hindi or turmeric milk in popular culture, is an ancient beverage. For centuries, it has been a part of Indian culture. The drink is a bright gold color that comes from yellow turmeric mixed with white milk. Its eye-catching appearance has made it a common sight in recent years at niche cafés selling “turmeric lattes” and specialty grocery stores across the country. In terms of health benefits, it ranks right up there with matcha tea.
Turmeric, or haldi as it is known in Hindi, is an essential ingredient in Indian cooking. It’s one of those essential spices that you can’t make Indian food without. It’s used in almost everything in India, from lentils to vegetables to pickles to rice – you name it!
For rejuvenation and good health, drink this healthy and delicious drink. Drinking golden milk before bedtime promotes good sleep and acts as an anti-aging tonic! ⠀
What are the Health Benefits of Golden Milk?
Turmeric, in addition to its delicious taste, may provide the following significant health benefits.
- Turmeric is high in curcumin, the compound that gives turmeric its yellow color. Curcumin has been linked to lower levels of inflammation in patients, which can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, and even cancer.
- Curcumin has antioxidant properties as well. According to some studies, antioxidants can help a person’s body repair cell damage and reduce the risk of many illnesses.
- According to research, curcumin may help improve mood in people who consume it regularly.
- Some older studies have suggested that turmeric may help improve brain function, but more recent research is needed to demonstrate its efficacy fully.
- Golden milk is commonly used to treat common illnesses such as the common cold.
Ingredients At A Glance
Milk – Use whichever milk you prefer. You can use full cream milk, diet milk, or plant-based milk.
Turmeric – You can use turmeric powder or minced raw turmeric. I prefer using raw turmeric. If you are using turmeric powder, use the best quality turmeric.
Sweetener – You can use sugar, jaggery, honey, maple syrup, or any other sweetener.
How To Prepare Golden Milk?
Take a pan and pour the milk into it.
Add turmeric and a sweetener of choice; I have used honey and let it boil.
Reduce the heat slightly and gently boil for 1 minute.
After a minute, remove from the heat, strain, and pour into a cup. Enjoy it warm to feel rejuvenated.
Expert Tips For Preparing Golden Milk
- To improve turmeric absorption, add a pinch of ground black pepper to the golden milk.
- For extra flavors, you can also use nutmeg and cinnamon in your golden milk.
- To avoid clumping in the turmeric milk, whisk your spices thoroughly.
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 1 cup 1x
Golden milk, a healthy and delicious drink for rejuvenation and good health.
- 1 cup Milk or any plant- based milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder/or minced raw turmeric ⠀
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery/Honey – add more if you like it sweeter or omit it completely.
- Pour the milk in a deep bottom pan.⠀
- Add turmeric and jaggery (or honey). ⠀
- Bring it to a boil.⠀
- Lower the heat slightly and boil gently for 1 minute.⠀
- Remove from heat.⠀
- Strain and pour in a cup or glass. ⠀
- Your super healthy Golden milk is ready to drink. Enjoy!⠀
- For better absorption of the turmeric add a pinch of ground black pepper to the golden milk. It won’t alter the taste.
- You can buy jaggery from Indian grocery stores. .
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: Golden Milk
Leave a Reply