Hare Chana Chaat / Spiced Green Chickpea Salad
I’ve got a mouthwatering recipe for you today that’s not only delicious but also vegan and gluten-free. It’s time for some Hare Chana Chaat, or as I like to call it, Spiced Green Chickpea treat.
You can have it as a snack or lunch. Great for weight loss, controlling blood sugar, or simply incorporating more plant protein in your lifestyle.
What is Hare Chana Chaat?
Have you heard of green chickpeas before? Hare chana literally means green chickpea. “Hare” means green in Hindi and “chana” is chickpeas.
When I was growing up, it wasn’t a common ingredient in my household. However, my cousins, who are from Delhi in northern India, introduced it to me as a snack that is often eaten in that part of the country.
If you’re interested in trying this recipe, you can find hare chana easily. Green chickpeas are available in Indian grocery stores, usually in lentil/pulse section or the freezer section where it’s the fresh frozen kin in bags.
You can also order the dried kind online. You’ll need to soak them overnight and boil them until they are tender before using them in your recipe.
Packed with fiber and plant protein, it’s a nutrition powerhouse! And it doesn’t require any oil, making it even lighter. And the fact that it’s both a salad and a street food means you get the best of both worlds. Talk about a win-win!
So let’s gather all the ingredients mentioned below, and get ready to indulge in a bowl full of health and yumminess.
Ingredients At A Glance
Dried Green Chickpea – Soak overnight for use the next day or defrost if you’re using the frozen variety overnight in the fridge.
Onions & Tomatoes – Use freshly chopped onions and tomatoes for that awesome flavor blend.
Coriander/ Cilantro – The fresh aroma of cilantro is something I enjoy! But if you’re not a cilantro fan, leave it out.
Chilli Powder – To add in some heat, I have used chili powder; you can also use chopped green chilis. But completely optional.
Chaat Masala – This is an important ingredient that will add an amazing flavor to the chat. You will get it in any Indian grocery store near you.
Lemon juice – This chaat-style salad needs it! Chaat is always tangy.
How To Prepare Hare Chana Chaat
Soaking and Cooking the Chickpeas
- Soak the dried green chickpeas overnight or for 4-5 hours.
- Cook the soaked chickpeas until they’re tender and fully cooked. You can do this by either pressure cooking or cooking on the stovetop which is usually what I do. It will take anywhere from 20-30 minutes.
Chopping the Vegetables
- While the chickpeas are cooking, chop the onions, tomatoes, and cilantro into small pieces.
- Set them aside in a mixing bowl.
Mixing and Serving the Salad
- Once the chickpeas are fully cooked, strain them to remove any excess water.
- In the mixing bowl with the chopped vegetables, add the cooked chickpeas.
- Add chaat masala, red chili powder, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- Mix everything well until all the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Serve the Spiced Green Chickpea Salad and enjoy immediately. This salad is served warm.
Pro Tips For Making Hare Chana Chaat
Crunchy toppings: Add some crunchy toppings like fine sev (gram flour noodles), or crushed peanuts for added texture and taste.
Experiment with flavors: Feel free to experiment and add your own twist to the chaat. You can add pomegranate seeds, tamarind chutney, and chopped fresh mint leaves to add freshness and a burst of flavor.
Serve it fresh: Hara Chana Chaat is best enjoyed immediately after preparation. The flavors will be at their peak, and the textures will be crisp and fresh.Print