Khatta Mitha Kaddu/Pumpkin
Khatta Mitha Kaddu/Pumpkin/ butternut
The history of Indian food may be traced back over 5,000 years, when numerous tribes and cultures interacted with India, resulting in a wide range of flavors and regional cuisines. Out of so many fascinating cuisines of India, its vegetarian dishes are really unique and delicious.
For example, this Khatta Mitha Kaddu is a sour and sweet mashed pumpkin curry served with a few spices that taste fantastic. Indian spices can turn your not-so-favorite vegetables into a delightful dish.
What is Khatta Mitha Kaddu?
Sweet and sour Pumpkin Curry, also known as Khatta Meetha Kaddu, is a tasty, healthful, vegan, and simple dish that just takes common kitchen spices and condiments. In India, pumpkin is known by a variety of names depending on the area, with the most popular being Kaddu, Sitaphal, Kashiphal, and Petha.
Pumpkin the orange color is due to the presence of beta-carotene, which is high in vitamins A, C, and E. It is excellent for skin nourishing and wrinkle prevention. Because of its high vitamin A content, pumpkin is beneficial to eye health.
So, this easy pumpkin recipe will help you include them in your regular diet. The best part is that this curry doesn’t require a lot of ingredients too. Only a few spices are required, and they will be ready in a matter of minutes.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
Pumpkin/Kaddu – I used the green pumpkin from my local organic farm in this dish. If the pumpkin’s skin is thin, you can add the pumpkin along with the peel. However, if it is thick, it is best to remove it. You can use any kind of pumpkin that is available locally.
Spices – You will need whole red chili, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, and amchur powder (dry mango powder). You will get all the spices in any Indian grocery store.
Cooking oil – Use any neutral cooking oil as per your preference.
How to Prepare Khatta Mitha Pumpkin?
Heat a Kadai or deep, wide pan and let it heat. Once the Kadai is hot, add oil.
Add the whole spices, red chili, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds to the hot oil. Let it splutter.
Now add the diced pumpkin. Mix it well. Add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, and coriander powder.
Sauté it on low heat for 2-3 minutes. Then, cover and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Keep stirring in between so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Once the pumpkin turns soft, mash it with a spatula so that it becomes a little mushy.
Now add amchur powder and stir well. Add garam masala at the end.
Mix it all well so that all the masalas are well incorporated—cover and cook for two more minutes.
Your Khatta mitha kaddu/pumpkin is now ready to serve. You can enjoy it with flatbread or rice.
Some Expert Tips For Preparing Khatta Mitha Pumpkin
- Tamarind pulp can be used in place of dried mango powder.
- Again, adjust the spices to your liking.
Khatta Mitha Kaddu/Pumpkin
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
A very simple recipe where chunks of squash/ pumpkin are cooked in sweet and sour flavors along with whole spices.
- 500 gm Pumpkin/Kaddu – diced
- 2 Whole red chili
- 1 teaspoon Coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Cooking oil
- Heat a kadai or deep wide pan and add oil.
- Add whole red chili, coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Now add the diced pumpkin and mix it well.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and coriander powder.
- Sauté it on low heat.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once soft, mash the pumpkin with a spatula so that it becomes a little mushy.
- Now add amchur powder and stir well.
- Add garam masala.
- Mix it all well so that all the masalas are well incorporated. Cover and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Your Khatta mitha kaddu is now ready to serve.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: Khatta Mitha Kaddu
Leave a Reply