Milk Peda( Indian dessert )
Be it Dussehra, Durga Puja, or any other festivities in India, sweets with best wishes are a must. Festival is that time of the year when people drop in unannounced, and we must welcome them with gratitude and love. Thus, we must be prepared with some nice snacks and dessert on hand. This peda will surely make a great addition to your festive dessert collection.
What is Milk Peda?
Milk Peda is a traditional Indian delicacy that is typically cooked during special events and holidays such as Rakshabandhan, Diwali, and other festivities. Pedas are traditionally made with milk and sugar, although this takes a long time. However, there is an instant variation of milk peda that includes milk powder, milk, and sugar and takes only 15-20 minutes. To increase the flavor, you can also add cardamom powder and Saffron.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
Milk – I strongly advise using whole-cream milk to achieve the greatest results. You can use skim milk, but you will receive fewer milk solids with the same amount of milk. In that case, you may need to double up the quantity of the milk.
Milk Powder – Please use whole milk powder. Full fat is available at Indian grocery stores. It is frequently referred to as mawa powder.
Sugar – Adjust the sugar with the amount of milk powder you are using, as milk powder has its own sweetness.
Embellishments – I have used saffron strands, pistachios, and edible silver sheets for garnishing.
How To Prepare Milk Peda?
Add milk and sugar to a heavy-bottomed pan and cook on low flame for 5 minutes or till sugar melts.
Then add the milk powder in small quantities at a time as we do not want the milk powder to coagulate. Stir thoroughly while you are adding the milk powder.
You can alternatively make the milk powder slurry separately and then add it to the milk.
Add all the milk powder while cooking on low heat. Keep stirring till it forms a dough.
Now transfer the mixture to a plate or tray and flatten it with a rolling pin to about 1-inch thickness.
Apply the silver leaf to the flattened dough. Then, take a round cookie cutter and cut out the pedas.
Garnish with a saffron strand and chopped pistachio. Your peda is now ready to be served.
Some Expert Tips For Preparing Milk Peda
- For a creamy peda texture, use full cream milk.
- If you’re short on time, you may also use store-bought khova and simmer it with sugar.
- You can add cream to the doodh peda recipe to make it rich and creamy.
Milk Peda( Indian dessert )
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6 pedas 1x
Savor the heavenly sweetness of milk peda, a divine confection that melts in your mouth, leaving a trail of pure bliss.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk powder
- Chopped pistachio for garnish
- A few saffron strands
- 3 sheets of Edible silver sheets
- Add milk and sugar to a heavy bottomed pan and cook in low flame for 5 minutes till sugar melts.
- Add the milk powder, little at a time and stir to mix in. Add the 3 cups in this way. Cook in low heat.
- Keep stirring till it forms a dough.
- Now transfer the mixture to a plate or tray and flatten it with a rolling pin to about 1 inch thickness.
- Apply vark (silver leaf)
- Take a round cookie cutter and cut out the pedas.
- Garnish with a saffron strand and chopped pistachio.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
Keywords: Milk Peda
Leave a Reply