An irresistible combination of succulent chicken tossed in a delectable sauce bursting with ginger and garlic flavors.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 large onion (any kind), cut into chunks
- 8 green chilies cut into pieces
- 2 bell peppers – any color, cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons green chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ cup water
- Marinade the chicken with vinegar, soy sauce, chilli powder (if using) for 1 hour.
- Heat a wok or deep wide pan and add oil.
- When oil is hot add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Now add the chicken pieces and mix everything well. Cook on medium-high heat for 2 minutes and then add chilli powder and soya sauce. Mix everything well.
- Add the chopped onions. Cook on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. The water released by the chicken pieces should evaporate.
- Next, add the bell peppers and cook for another 2to 3 minutes on medium-high.
- Now, add the green chilli sauce and the ketchup and mix well. At this stage, you could add some water if needed. Set the heat to low.
- Add the cornstarch slurry and stir till the sauce thickens. Make sure that the vegetables don’t get too soft.
- Serve with plain white rice and some steamed bok choy if you wish and enjoy!
Feel free to use sesame oil to cook this dish. I love toasted sesame oil.
Although this dish is intended to be fiery, you can omit the chilies completely.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
Keywords: No fry chilli chicken, chili chicken, indo chinese chicken recipe