Aar Macher Jhol is a Bengali Fish curry prepared with Aar/Rohu/Katla fish. The gravy is so simple and can be prepared in a jiffy with the items available in the pantry and tastes best with steamed white rice.
- 4 pieces Aar/Singhara fish – cut into roundels about 1 inch thick
- 1 Onion – medium thinly sliced
- 6 Garlic cloves – crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 5 to 7 Green Chilies – slit length wise
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Salt – half to marinade the fish and half while cooking
- ½ cup Oil – half to fry the fish and half for cooking the fish
- Marinade the fish with salt and turmeric powder and keep it aside for at least an hour.
- Heat a kadai add oil, heat it to its smoking point.
- Now add the fish pieces carefully and fry it on low heat for 2 minutes each side.
- Take it out of the kadai when done.
- Now in the same kadai add more oil, add crushed garlic and sauté for a minute on low heat.
- Add green chilies and onions sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric and sauté till the onion becomes slightly brown in colour.
- Now add half cup water and let it simmer for one minute.
- Add the fish pieces, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander and enjoy Aar/Singhara fish with steamed rice.
Keywords: fish curry aar singhara