Adraki Gobi (Ginger Cauliflower)
Cauliflower used to be a vegetable that was only available only during a specific time of the year until a few years ago, but it is now available all the year, especially in large cities. The blossoms, known as the aristocrat of the cabbage family, are sometimes eaten uncooked. This cauliflower recipe with no onions or garlic is one of my favorites. This recipe’s star ingredient is ginger.
What is Adraki Gobi or Ginger Cauliflower?
Adraki Gobi aloo is a flavorful and delicious dish for a quick supper. Simply stir fry cauliflower with ginger and serve hot with flatbread or naan.
The Gobi is one of the most loved vegetables at my house. Thereby, I try to prepare it in different ways every time I make it. For variations, I usually increase the amount of spices or garnish. For example, I frequently cook Jeera Gobi Aaloo (cumin-flavored cauliflower and potato stir fry), garlicky gobi aloo, and my current favorite, Adraki Gobi.
The “Adraki Gobi,” a semi-gravy vegetable side dish composed of fresh cauliflower, tomatoes, green peas, and ginger, is one delicious dish that you can have daily. Gobi Adraki with hot flatbreads or pooris is a marriage made in heaven and a must-try combination.
Also, ginger improves the digestion of fatty foods. It also boosts our immunity and fights colds and sinus infections. Thus, this is not just an easy and tasty side dish but is also healthy.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
Cauliflower – Cauliflower should not be washed before it is chopped up and cooked. After cutting up the cauliflower, immerse it in salt water or vinegar water to assist drive any insects trapped within the florets out.
Potato – Use fresh young potatoes with little starch for the best taste. You can use the russet variety if you live in the United States. I simply washed and chopped the potatoes. To shorten the cooking time and parboil the potatoes first.
Green Peas – Peas are incredibly flexible; they pair well with most Indian dishes like this one. They are ideal for both heavy curry meals and lighter summer salads.
Tomato – Tomato adds acidity to the dish providing the right balance to the flavors.
Ginger – Ginger is the hero ingredient of the dish, as the name suggests. So, we will need a lot of it. Use a fresh ginger bulb for this recipe.
Spices – We require basic Indian spices for this recipe, like red chili powder and turmeric powder.
Jaggery/Sugar – For sweetness, you can use jaggery if you prefer natural sweetener or simple sugar.
Mustard oil – This dish tastes good when prepared in mustard oil. However, you can use any other oil of your preference.
How To Prepare Adraki Gobi?
First, heat a Kadai and add oil to it.
Add ginger paste and saute for 2 minutes when the oil is hot.
Now add chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric, and chili powder.
Saute till the tomatoes leave oil.
Add the parboiled cauliflower and potatoes and mix everything well—cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the green peas, cover, and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice, roti, paratha, or poori.
Some Expert Tips For Preparing Adraki Aloo
- The amount of red chili powder can be adjusted to suit your taste and preferences.
- To clean the gobi (cauliflower), soak it in boiling water with turmeric. If the cauliflower is bug-infested, boiling water will kill the bugs while also removing any dirt or contaminants.
- Garam Masala powder can also be used to add extra flavor.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
Adraki Gobi aloo is a flavorful and delicious quick supper dish. Simply sauté cauliflower with ginger in a pan and serve with flatbread or naan.
- 1 Cauliflower – medium size cut into florets
- 2 Potato – medium cut into cubes
- ½ cup Green peas
- 4 Tomato – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Jaggery/Sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp Neutral Cooking oil
- Heat a kadai and add oil.
- Add ginger paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric and chili powder.
- Saute till the tomatoes leave oil.
- Now add the cauliflower and potatoes and mix everything well.
- Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the green peas.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice, roti, paratha or poori.