Afghani cuisine is well-known for its mildly spicy and mouthwatering flavors. The Afghani Chicken recipe tastes best when served with spicy chutney, which is made with cream, whisked eggs, and lime juice. If you are expecting guests over or want to celebrate a particular occasion, potlucks, buffets, or anniversaries, this recipe will work beautifully. Furthermore, if you want to make it more delicious and creamy, add some fresh cream, and I assure you, your guests and family will enjoy it and will ask for more. Unlike other Mughlai meals, this one is mildly spicy; you can top it with chopped green chilies and coriander leaves.
What is Chicken Afghani?
Afghani Chicken is a delectable, incredibly creamy chicken meal that is prepared in a unique method with a thick curd gravy. Afghani Chicken is not only delicious but also incredibly simple to prepare at home; no tomato or other ingredients are required. The rich and creamy Chicken Afghani recipe, cooked with spicy sauce and a generous amount of curd and fresh cream, can be done easily and quickly.
Notable Ingredients at a Glance
Chicken – Use boneless chicken for this recipe, suggestively the breast and thigh pieces. The dish’s perfectly tender and juicy texture is obtained if cooked correctly.
Fresh cream or heavy cream – This is the essential ingredient as cream provides the rich, creamy texture of the dish.
Green chili – Green chili paste adds the spice that is famous in Afghani dishes. You can balance the quantity as per your preference. For example, if you are preparing for children, you can add in a tiny amount.
Note: For the green chili paste, take 4 to 5 green chilies, crush them in a mortar, and pestle or grind them in a mixer-grinder to a fine paste.
Black Pepper – Black pepper powder adds a distinctive aroma and spice to the dish.
Ginger-garlic pastes – Ginger garlic paste is used to tenderize ingredients and add their flavor depth.
Garam masala – Garam masala adds warmth, sweetness, flowery aromas, and a hint of black pepper spiciness. It is meant to be both a fragrant and savory spice.
Salt – Add as per taste.
Oil – Oil is required for greasing the pan if you are using a grill pan. You can use any neutral oil of your choice.
How to prepare Chicken Afghani?
Begin with marination. Marinade the chicken with fresh cream, salt, green chili paste, pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, and garam masala.
Marinade for at least 1 hour or overnight for the best result.
Heat a grilling pan and drizzle some oil. Swirl the pan so that the oil is coated throughout, or use a silicone brush to spread the oil evenly.
Grill the marinated chicken pieces on the grilling pan in batches until appropriately cooked, which will take about 8 to 10 minutes.
Sear both the sides till all the marination dries up and the chicken pieces are brown and crisp.
Alternatively, thread through skewers and cook at 375°F for about 10-15 minutes.
Serve this mouth-watering dish with onion rings and green chutney.
Some Expert Tips for Preparing Chicken Afghani
- I used 4 to 5 green chilies, but you may modify the heat to your liking.
- This recipe relies heavily on marinating. The longer you marinate the chicken, the more tender and juicy it will be.
A grilled, smoky, tender, delicious recipe that will get you many compliments
- 500 gm Chicken – boneless cut into 1 inch cubes (breast or thighs)
- 1 cup Fresh cream or heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Green chili paste (you can increase or decrease the quantity as per your taste)
- 1 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp Garam masala (I have used Everest garam masala)
- 1 tsp Salt
- Oil for greasing the pan
- Marinade the chicken with fresh cream, salt, green chili paste, pepper powder, ginger garlic paste and garam masala.
- Marinade for atleast 1 hour or overnight for best result.
- Now heat a grilling pan and drizzle some oil. Swirl it so oil covers the pan or use a silicone brush to spread the oil.
- Grill the marinated chicken pieces on the tawa till cooked properly which will take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sear both the sides till all the marination dries up and the chicken pieces are brown and crisp.
- Serve Afghani Chicken as an appetizer along with onion rings and green chutney (see chutney highlight).
For the green chili paste take 4 to 5 green chilies and crush it in a mortar and pestle or grind it in a mixer-grinder to a fine paste.
Keywords: afghani chicken