Baby Corn Stir Fry
Stir-fries are a staple of Chinese cuisine. It is a fast and convenient way of cooking as it makes use of minimal oil and requires very little time for actual cooking. This is a dish that can be made in 20 minutes or less and goes great with chapati, roti, or even steamed rice. It is perhaps the fastest way to work veggies into your diet. Add this as a side dish to your lunch box and you will not regret it.
What is Baby Corn Stir Fry?
Stir-frying is a very popular method of cooking food with its roots in China. While we are exploring only baby corn in this recipe, stir-fries can usually be made with any vegetables that are within your reach. Baby corn stir fry Is a semi-dry curry that is prepared using tomatoes and bell peppers. It has many variations which sometimes include Indian spices. However, in this recipe, I will explore the Chinese-flavored baby corn stir fry.
Notable Ingredients at a Glance
Baby corn – You will need around 500 gm (1 pound) of packaged baby corn, slit lengthwise.
Bell pepper – You will need a quarter cup each of both Red and Green bell peppers, cut into small cubes.
Green chili – You can substitute with fresh Red Chillies if available. You can add 6-8 of them, chopped finely. If you think that is too much heat, you can reduce the number of Chillies or take their seeds out. That will give you the fragrance of the Chili without the heat to go with it.
Coriander leaves – A tablespoon or more than a quarter cup of coarsely chopped coriander leaves leaving out the woody stems.
Ginger garlic paste – Use fresh ginger garlic paste. Don’t use the packaged stuff.
Corn flour – Corn flour adds the extra crunch to the dish.
Sauces – We will add sauces like soy sauce, tomato chili sauce, or chili garlic sauce.
Olive oil – I prefer olive oil for this dish. You can also use sesame oil or any other oil of your choice.
How to prepare Baby Corn Stir Fry?
Heat oil in a pan or wok on low flame. Once the oil is hot enough, add the baby corn and saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
With a spatula, make some space in the middle of the pan and add the ginger-garlic paste. Saute the paste for 1 to 2 minutes till the raw smell disappears.
Add salt to taste and mix thoroughly with the baby corn. The ginger-garlic paste should evenly coat the crevices of the baby corn.
In a bowl, add the cornflour, soy sauce, tomato sauce, and Chili sauce and make a thick slurry. If you notice the cornflour forming lumps in the mixture, add a bit of water and mix it till it becomes a thick consistent mixture.
Now put this slurry on the baby corn and mix it thoroughly.
Add the chilies, bell peppers, and a quarter cup of coriander leaves and mix.
Finally, stir fry the entire thing for 4 to 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander.
Some expert tips for preparing Baby Corn Stir Fry.
- You can add other vegetables to the stir fry to make it suit your taste buds better.
- Experiment with the cuts you make on the baby corn. I cut it lengthwise but you can experiment by cutting along the cross-section or at an angle.
- This recipe can be Indianized by adding Indian spices and cooking it to a gravy consistency. There are various recipes for this Baby Corn Stir Fry Sabzi
Baby Corn Stir Fry
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
Baby Corn Stir Fry is very easy and simple to make and does not take much time. It is very flavorful and a must try!
- 500 gm Baby corn – slit lengthwise.
- ¼ cup Red Bell pepper – cut in small cubes
- ¼ cup Green Bell pepper – cut in small cubes
- 6–8 Green chili – chopped fine
- 5 tbsp Coriander leaves – chopped
- 3 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 4 tbsp Tomato chili sauce or chili garlic sauce
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat oil in a pan on low.
- Add the baby corn and saute for 3 – 4 mins.
- Now with a spatula make space in the middle of the pan and add ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute the paste for 1-2 mins till the raw smell goes away.
- Add salt. Mix the ginger garlic paste with the corn evenly.
- In a bowl add the cornflour, soy sauce, and tomato chili sauce and make a thick mixture. If the cornflour is forming lumps add a bit of water and mix it till it becomes a thick consistent mixture.
- Now pour this mixture onto the baby corn and mix it evenly.
- Add the chilies, bell peppers, ¼ th cup coriander leaves and mix.
- Now stir fry it for another 4-5 mins.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with 1 tbsp chopped coriander.
- Serve it hot !
Keywords: baby corn stir fry