Yields: 2 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 10 Mins Total Time: 25 Mins
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
Baingan Bharta ir roasted brinjal also called eggplant is a very popular Indian dish. It is very tasty and does not require too many ingredients to prepare it. This recipe can be cooked with very little oil and spices and yet tastes awesome.
- 1 tsp Mustard oil
- 2 Onion – medium size finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 to 6 cloves Garlic – finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger – finely chopped
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 3 Tomatoes – medium size chopped roughly chopped
- 4 Whole red chili
- 1 Brinjal – big round
- ½ cup Fresh coriander – finely chopped
- Place the brinjal directly on the gas flame. Keep the flame on high.
- Keep rotating the brinjal so that all the sides get equally roasted. It will take about 5 minutes to roast a big round brinjal.
- The skin will get charred but do not worry that’s is what will give the Bharta its unique taste.
- Once the brinjal has been roasted keep it aside and let it cool down completely.
- In the meantime you can roast the whole red chilies. Put them directly on the flame and roast them one by one. Keep them aside.
- Once the brinjal cools down remove the charred skin and mix the roasted whole red chilies and mash the roasted brinjal. Keep it aside.
- Now oil in a kadai or pan
- Now add onions and saute them on low heat.
- Add salt and saute for a minute.
- Now add chopped garlic and ginger and saute for two minutes or till the raw smell of the garlic-ginger goes away.
- Add red chili powder and tomatoes.
- Saute on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes or till all the water from the tomatoes dry up and the tomatoes become soft.
- Add the roasted brinjal now and mix very well.
- Keep cooking on low for 2-3 minutes till all the water from the brinjal evaporates.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and enjoy!
Keywords: brinjal bharta