Beetroot Hummus (gluten-free, vegan)
According to nutritionists, hummus is high in protein, which helps battle cravings and excessive snacking while also balancing blood sugar levels. Due to its extreme benefits, hummus is deeply loved by many. The addition of beet to hummus makes it even more delicious, nutritious, and oh so gorgeous! The best part of all is that it is super easy to make.
I was a little nervous about the taste when I made it for the first time, assuming that the beet might not taste good. But, guess what? I was absolutely taken aback. The lemon, garlic, and olive oil wonderfully balanced the beet flavor in the hummus.
What is Beet Hummus?
Beet hummus is a vibrantly pink, slightly sweet, and incredibly healthful dish that comes together quickly by simply combining all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
If you like beets and hummus, you’ll fall in love with this beet hummus. Beets, tahini, garlic, lemon, cumin, salt, and pepper are the magic elements of this dish.
Use as a lovely topping for cucumber rounds, scoop some up with pita triangles or celery ribs, or just dive in with a spoon and gobble it up before anyone realizes what they’re missing.
Notable Ingredients at a Glance
Chickpeas – Chickpeas are the most essential ingredient of hummus. You’ll only need one can of chickpeas; remember to save the liquid from the can. If you are using dry chickpeas, make sure to soak them the previous night.
Beetroot – In this dish, you’ll need one small beet, which we’ll roast until it’s wonderfully sweet but not overbearing.
Garlic cloves – Garlic adds a delicious aroma and flavor to the hummus.
Tahini paste – Tahini paste is the secret ingredient in hummus recipes! Tahini is simply a sesame seed paste that adds the right texture to hummus. I have used homemade tahini paste, but store-bought works great too.
Note: For making homemade tahini paste, you will need ½ cup white sesame seeds, ¼ teaspoon of salt, and four tablespoons of olive oil. First, roast the sesame seeds on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes till it turns aromatic. Let it cool and then add everything to a blender and make a smooth paste.
Olive oil – Hummus has a rich texture because of the addition of olive oil. Therefore, when we serve the swirly hummus, we additionally drizzle it with olive oil.
Lemon Juice – This beet hummus recipe benefits from a bit of fresh acidity to balance out the flavor. This acidity is added by lemon juice.
Fresh parsley – The addition of parsley is optional. But if added, it will add more flavor to your hummus.
Black Pepper & Salt – Add black pepper and salt as per taste.
How to Prepare Beet Hummus?
Add the soaked or canned chickpeas, beetroot, garlic cloves, olive oil, black pepper, and salt to a mixer grinder and make a smooth paste.
Add the water from the chickpea if required. Make sure the hummus is thick.
Transfer the Beetroot Hummus to a bowl. Garnish it with some more olive oil and parsley.
Serve it with Pita bread or vegetables.
Some Expert Tips for Preparing Beet Hummus
- Now is the moment to put your food processor to good use! If you don’t have one, a blender will suffice.
- Make sure to use the best quality tahini you can locate. Otherwise, you can always make it at home.
- The flavor of dry chickpeas is superior to canned, but it takes more time. Therefore, I strongly advise you to experiment with dried chickpeas at some point.
- Hummus can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- If the hummus thickens in the fridge, dilute with one spoonful of cold water at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
Beetroot Hummus is very tasty recipe and it is very easy to prepare it. It is super delicious and it is a very flavorful recipe.
- 1 cup – Boiled Chickpeas/Kabuli chana
- 1 cup – Beetroot boiled and peeled
- 10 to 12 – Garlic cloves
- ½ cup – Fresh parsley (if using dry parsley use 1 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp – Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp – Tahini paste
- 4 tbsp – Olive oil
- 1 tsp – Pepper powder
- ½ tsp – Salt
- Add all the above ingredients to a mixer grinder and make a smooth paste. Add the water from boiled chickpea if required.
- Make a smooth paste and make sure the hummus is thick.
- Transfer the Beetroot Hummus to a bowl and serve with Pita bread or vegetables.
Tahini paste – ½ cup white sesame seeds, ¼ tsp salt and 4 tbsp olive oil. Roast the sesame seeds in a pan on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes till it turns aromatic . Cool it. Add everything to a blender and make a smooth paste.
Keywords: beetroot hummus