Laal Maas is a Rajasthani meat dish. Laal Maas simply means red mutton. The red color comes from the chili paste used. It’s not as deadly as it looks as it is neutralized by tangy yogurt. It’s flavored by delicate spices and is one of my very favorite meat curries. I’ve used chicken in this recipe.
- 800 gms (almost 2 pounds) Chicken
- 3 Onion – medium thinly sliced
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Curd (better with hung curd or Greek yogurt)
- 10 to 12 Whole Kashmiri red chilies (If you can get Mathsnis chilies that is best, less heat.)
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste – 1/2tbsp ginger and 1/2tbsp garlic
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 5 to 6 Whole Garlic Pods
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander/Dhania Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin/Jeera Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 7 to 8 Green Cardamom – crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 7 to 8 Black Cardamom
- 8 to 10 Cloves
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- 15 to 20 Pepper corns
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- Heat mustard oil in a kadai/wok.
- Add bay leaves, cinnamon, black cardamom, cloves, pepper corns and green cardamom and sauté for a minute on low heat.
- Add onions and fry them till golden brown in colour which will take about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Now add salt and ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes till the raw smell of ginger-garlic paste goes away.
- Now add coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, chili powder and whole garlic.
- Sauté them all for 2 to 3 minutes on low heat.
- Now add the whole red chili paste and sauté well till the oil separates out which will take about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add the chicken and mix well.
- Add lemon juice and curd, let it simmer on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes now add ghee.
- If you feel the chicken is very dry add half cup water.
- Let it simmer on low heat, cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or till done.
- Your Chicken laal maas is now ready to serve garnish with some fresh coriander.
- Chicken laal maas can be enjoyed with rice, roti or naan.
Whole Kashmiri red chilies – soaked in warm water for 30 minutes and blended into a fine paste with half cup water. If you can get Mathsnis chilies that is best, less heat.
Keywords: chicken laal maas rajasthani red curry