Given the popularity of Indian cuisine, you might have heard about paneer before. It’s a fresh cheese made with milk, lemon juice, and vinegar usually sold in blocks or cubed.
But this time, I’ve made a healthier version without having to fry them. So, if you are looking for a vegan option or just want to enjoy chili’s flavor guilt-free, then try my way!Print
Chili paneer is one of the favorite Indian-Chinese recipes.
Typically speaking, in Chili Paneer the paneer cubes are fried and tossed in a sweet, sour and spicy gravy but here I have tried a healthier version by not frying it and trust me there is no compromise on the taste, it tastes equally good and is healthy too. So, you can enjoy it guilt free.
You can also try this recipe with tofu in case you want a vegan version.
- 250 gms (1/2 pound) Paneer
- 1 Onion – large cut into two-cm cubes
- 1 Yellow bell pepper – cut into two-cm cubes
- 1 Red bell pepper – cut into two-cm cubes
- 1 Green bell pepper – cut into two-cm cubes
- 7 to 8 Green chillies – slit length wise
- 10 to 12 Garlic – cloves finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger – finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Sesame Oil (you can use any oil of your choice but not mustard oil or coconut oil)
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Red chili sauce
- 4 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt (Be careful with the salt as most of the sauces we have used have salt in them so we may not even need this extra salt.)
- 1/3 cup Water
- Heat a wok add oil, then add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies. Sauté for a minute or two so that the raw smell of ginger and garlic goes.
- Now add yellow bell peppers, red bell peppers and green bell peppers. Cook it on high for 2 minutes as we do not want the capsicum to become too soft.
- Now add soy sauce, chili sauce and tomato ketchup and mix it all very well.
- Let us add some chili powder at this stage.
- Now add sugar and sauté on high flame for half a minute.
- Add paneer cubes and mix well, the sauces should coat the paneer pieces very well.
- Now add the cubed onion and mix well, sauté for 2 minutes on high. Check salt at this stage and add if required.
- If you want the chili paneer to be dry then no need to add water. I wanted it to have some gravy so I added little bit of water about 1/3 cup.
- Mix all the ingredients well and let it simmer on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with some chopped spring onions.
Keywords: Chili Paneer