It’s 5:30 p.m. you are headed out of the office after a long and excruciatingly busy day. As you walk to the metro station on a busy Kolkata Street, you smell the delicious aroma of refreshing, tangy salad wrapped in crunchy and eggy deep-fried goodness wafting through the air. You know you want it, but you snap out of memory lane and remember that you no longer live in Kolkata. Thankfully, you can make this dish anywhere and help yourself to this iconic wrap from The City of Joy simply by following this recipe.
What is Egg Roll?
There is an insane variety of street food to be discovered in India, but my favorite is the Egg Roll. It is a fusion of Indian and Chinese cuisine. This is one of the most famous street foods in Kolkata. It is a spicy and tangy dish that can be made with paratha or tortilla wraps. Every major metropolitan city has its own version of a wrap. Food that you can comfortably eat while power-walking to your next meeting.
Instead of having a meat-based filling, the egg roll from Kolkata takes into account the city’s climate. A heavy, meat-based wrap will simply weigh you down, given the hot and humid climate of the city during summers. To get around this problem, The Kolkata egg roll is made with a feeling that is more akin to a salad than to a wrap.
Notable Ingredients at a Glance
For Paratha Dough
All–purpose Flour – A cup of all-purpose flour, a quarter cup of water, and a teaspoon of salt. Nothing fancy!
For frying the paratha
Oil – You can use any neutral oil of your choice.
Eggs.- Egg is the main ingredient, as the name of the dish suggests.
For the filling
Vegetables – Chopped onion (thin slices), chopped cucumber (thin slices), and green chili. You can also add other vegetables to make it healthy.
Ketchup – Use regular ketchup. You can also use tomato chili sauce.
Chaat Masala – This will add the street style taste to the egg roll.
For wrapping the roll, You’ll need :
Parchment or butter paper.
Note: If you want to skip making the paratha with all of its kneading and frying, You can just get a store-bought tortilla, and it’ll work just fine in a pinch.
How to prepare Egg Rolls?
Add all-purpose flour, half a teaspoon of salt, and water to a mixing bowl. Mix well till it forms a dough. Cover the mixing bowl and let it rest for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, roll out the dough in a big circle (Approximately 6 inches in diameter)
Heat up the oil of your choice in a pan on medium flame. Gently lay down the paratha on the pan and brown the paratha on both sides for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside.
After the parathas are made, crack the eggs in a bowl and beat them with half a teaspoon of salt.
Fry the egg in the same frying pan in 1 tablespoon of oil for 15 seconds, swirling it around, so it fills the pan. Put the paratha over the barely fried egg and keep it for 3 minutes on low heat.
Flip the paratha again and fry the other side for 2 minutes.
Place the paratha with the side of the egg up on a plate. Add in your choice of toppings, including onions, cucumbers, chilis, ketchup, and chat masala blend. You can also add a few drops of lemon in it.
Wrap tightly with parchment paper or wrapping paper, and it’s good to be served.
Some expert tips for preparing Egg Rolls
- You can skip the paratha-making procedure by buying store-bought tortillas.
- You can add in your choice of protein to make the wrap more filling, like meat or vegetable meat.
- Frying the paratha for a second time is what gives it the crunchy, flaky texture. Be careful so as not to burn the paratha in the process.
Egg roll (stuffed egg wrap) is a popular street food from my hometown in India. It is very easy and super delicious.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 egg
- 1 cup chopped onion (thin slices)
- 1 cup chopped cucumber (thin slices)
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp chopped chillies (optional)
- Chaat Masala
- Parchment/ butter paper
- In a mixing bowl add the all purpose flour,½ tsp salt and water
- Mix well till it forms a dough. Rest 15 mins(covered).
- Now roll out in a big circle ( 6 in diameter roughly).
- Brown the paratha on both sides for 2-3 mins in 1 tbsp oil and keep aside
- Add eggs in a bowl and bear with ½ tsp salt
- Fry the egg in a wide frying pan in 1 tbsp oil for 10s, swirling the egg around so it fills the pan, and then put the paratha over it and keep for 3 mins in low heat.
- Flip the paratha and “fry”the other side for 2 mins
- Now place the paratha with egg side up on a plate and stuff it with onions, cucumber, chillies, ketchup and chaat masala blend.
- Wrap with parchment paper or wrapping paper.
- Enjoy it hot!
You can use store bought tortilla instead of making the parathas.
Keywords: egg roll wrap