I believe that the simplest recipes are sometimes the most difficult to master, and egg salad is a prime example. The majority of egg salads are uninteresting, bland, and mayo-laden affairs. However, when prepared properly, egg salad can be made to taste like heaven! This recipe is my take on the ever-popular recipe of egg salad. If you have leftover eggs from Easter, make these simple and delicious egg salads and sandwiches to go along with it!
What is an Egg Salad?
This is the simplest egg salad, and it’s ideal for using up leftover Easter eggs. You’ll appreciate the short ingredient list, but it’s all you need to make one delicious salad: hard-boiled eggs, herbs, celery, and crisp onion in the creamiest dressing. To be clear this recipe does make the use of Mayonnaise. But I’ve added a lot of other ingredients and herbs to cut through the bland taste and texture usually associated with it.
Notable Ingredients at a Glance
Egg – Use hard-boiled egg, mashed or finely chopped. Adjust the cooking time by a few minutes if you use a different size. It is not necessary to season them before cooking. Simply remove the eggs from the refrigerator and place them in a pot of boiling water. Check for doneness a few minutes earlier than specified if they are all room temperature.
Mustard paste – The authentic taste of mustard adds a unique taste to the recipe, making it even more aromatic and flavourful.
Mayonnaise – A decent mayonnaise is a must for richness in egg salad.
Chopped coriander or scallions – Fresh coriander offers flavor and color, while celery adds the crunch. Finally, scallions offer a delicate onion taste. As a result, the egg salad is creamy and rich, but also lively and fresh.
Vegetables & leaves – To make it more healthy and complete add vegetables and leaves like tomatoes and lettuce.
Salt & Black pepper powder – Add salt and black pepper as per your taste. Black pepper acts as a good seasoning.
How to prepare the Egg Salad?
To begin, start with perfectly cooked hard-boiled eggs; the whites should be soft and the yolks creamy. The seasoning must be significantly increased for the eggs to be salty through and through.
In a bowl, add the mayo, mustard, chopped onions, spring onions (scallions), salt, and pepper, and mix thoroughly. You have the option of skipping or reducing the total amount of salt at this stage depending on the seasoning that you have put in your hard-boiled eggs. Be sure to taste the mix before going to the next step. You should be happy with how the mixture tastes at this stage. Make any necessary adjustments to the mixture and then proceed to the final step.
Add the mashed eggs. Mix to combine well. Your easy egg salad is ready!
Now take two slices of bread, add some lettuce and tomatoes and then the egg salad, and enjoy your yummy egg salad sandwich.
Some expert tips for preparing Egg Salad
- At its core, Egg Salad is a blank canvas that can be paired with many other things. You can add proteins like crispy bacon, chicken, or shrimp to the salad for an extra kick. You can also flavor your Egg Salad with seasoning mixes like pizza seasoning and hot sauces to customize it to your taste.
- While seasoning the eggs, do be careful not to make them saltier than you’d want the final result to be. Too much salt in the boiling stage can bomb the entire dish if it makes it’s way into the final mash.
- Try the recipe with relish. It adds a wonderful character and flavor that compliments the taste of Egg Salad.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
If you have leftover eggs from Easter make this simple and delicious egg salad Adding relish- highly recommended.
- 4 Hard-boiled eggs (Mashed or chopped fine)
- ½ tbsp Mustard paste
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions
- ½ tsp salt ( optional)
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- In a bowl, add the mayo, mustard, chopped onions, spring onions (scallions), salt, pepper and mix well.
- Add the mashed eggs. Mix to combine well.
- Your easy egg salad is ready!
- Now take two slices of bread, add some lettuce and tomatoes and then the egg salad and enjoy your yummy egg salad sandwich.
You can also add relish to this salad.
Keywords: egg salad