Who doesn’t love mac and cheese? If there is one thing that children adore, it is any type of macaroni and noodle meal. Macaroni is popular among people of all ages and can lift one’s spirits anytime. So, if you are planning to include macaroni in your Halloween meal, this recipe will surely make a great addition.
What is Frank-O-Mac?
This Continental dish is simple to prepare at home. This delectable dish calls for macaroni, tomato ketchup, bell peppers, onion, butter, cheese, and seasonings. Macaroni is the most convenient breakfast and lunch option for bachelors because it is done in half an hour. This amazing macaroni recipe is great for your Halloween feast. This dish can be served for potlucks and kitten parties without the spooky touch. Also, you can carry this for outdoor picnics or road trips. This quirky Halloween dish will surely delight the kids.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
Macaroni – Straight macaroni and elbow macaroni are the most popular choices. Both are small enough to fit on a fork or spoon in your mouth, but their hollow, cylindrical shape provides enough surface area for the creamy, cheesy sauce to hold. I personally prefer elbow macaroni for this recipe. However, for the healthier version, you can use whole wheat macaroni.
Bell Pepper – I have used green bell peppers for preparing the macaron. For the outer frank structure, you will need large yellow bell peppers.
Onion – You can use either white or yellow onions, both of which have a high sugar content and caramelize well.
Garlic – I have used garlic powder in this recipe. You can also use fresh and minced garlic.
Seasonings – For pasta seasoning, you will need chili flakes, oregano, and basil.
Red kidney Beans – Mashed or diced kidney beans add a good texture to the recipe.
Ketchup – Ketchup is a must for the sweet and tangy macaroni flavors, so do not skip it.
Olive Oil – It adds a rich flavor to the dish. You can also use any other neutral oil but not mustard oil.
Cheese – Macaroni without cheese is like lemonade without lemon. For this recipe, in particular, I have used permease cheese.
How To Prepare Frank-O-Mac?
Cook the macaroni until it is tender. Before boiling, add one tablespoon oil and ½ teaspoon salt to the water. Once the macaroni is cooked, set it aside.
Take a pan and add one tablespoon of olive oil. When the oil is hot, add onions, tomato, and beans. Sauté for 5 mins on medium heat.
Then add the green bell pepper, garlic powder, and seasonings, chili flakes, oregano, and basil. Now add ketchup and ½ tsp salt. Mix and saute for another 2 mins.
Add the cooked macaroni and give it a mix.
Finally, stuff the spooky-faced yellow bell pepper with macaroni and top with Parmesan or any shredded cheese, and serve.
Some Expert Tips For Preparing Frank-O-Mac
- When cooking macaroni at home, always cook it until al-dente or half-cooked.
- Turn off the pasta after only 10 minutes to prevent it from overcooking. Transfer to cold or chilled water to keep it from sticking together.
- Use colorful vegetables such as zucchini, bell peppers, carrots, and herbs to add color to your macaroni. This will not only bring color but will also add flavor.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 3 1x
Delight the kids with this fun Halloween dish!
- 3 Yellow Bell Peppers
- 2 cups Macaroni
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 big onion diced
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp oregano and basil each
- 1 tsp salt
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked red kidney beans, diced or gently mashed.
- Boil the macaroni till cooked. Add 1 tbsp oil, ½ tsp salt in the water before boiling. Keep aside
- In a pan add 1 tbsp olive oil, onions, tomato and beans. Sauté 5 mins on medium heat.
- Add the green bell pepper, garlic powder, chilli flakes, oregano, basil and ketchup and ½ tsp salt.
- Mix and saute for another 2 mins.
- Add the macaroni and give it a mix.
- Stuff the Yellow bell pepper and top with Parmesan or any shredded cheese if desired and serve.
For the Yellow Bell pepper
- Cut the top and remove the seeds.
- Cut a jack-o-lantern design on one side of the yellow bell pepper.
- Now serve the scary dish