Heart-Shaped Aloo Tikkis
Spicy Aloo Tikki with a crisp surface and a soft inside is a genuine pleasure for your taste buds at any time. Shaping these tikkis into cute hearts makes a great addition to your valentine’s day date. It’s so tasty that if you have tried it once, the next time, just hearing the term will make your stomach juices start flowing.
What is Heart-Shaped Aloo Tikki?
Aloo Tikki, which loosely translates to “potato patties,” is primarily consumed as a snack and is frequently sold by street sellers in North India. The potato mixture used to make the patties can be spiced in a variety of ways; the patties can be stuffed with different things, such as mashed up chickpeas or peas; and the patties themselves can be served as is, with some chutney, or, as at Punjabi Grocery & Deli, with a bit of onion and chile. However, they can also be used as the base ingredient for chaat.
The shallow fry technique used in this recipe is simple and quick to create a crispy outer layer that covers a soft and spicy inner crust of potatoes, green peas, and spices.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
Potato – Use golden rosette potatoes for this recipe. When boiling the potatoes, you must exercise extreme caution. You can boil these in a pressure cooker, but they must be withdrawn from the water as soon as the pressure is released. Otherwise, the potatoes may absorb moisture and lose their Tikki shape.
Vegetables – I have used carrots and peas in this recipe. You can also use other vegetables. The addition of fresh coriander leaves enhances the flavour of the Tikki.
Bread crumbs – Break crumbs makes the outer surface of the Tikki crispy and make it look beautiful.
Spices – You will need pepper powder and amchur powder for this recipe. You can get amchur or dry mango powder in an Indian grocery store.
Ginger – I have used finely chopped ginger for this recipe. You can also use grated ginger instead.
Green chilies – Add green chillis as per your tolerance of spice.
Rock Salt – I have used rock salt as per my preference. You can use table salt as well.
Oil – You can use any neutral oil such as vegetable oil, olive oil, or any other oil you choose.
How To Prepare Heart-Shaped Aloo Tikki?
First, heat a kadai, add one teaspoon of oil, and add the chopped ginger; saute them on low heat for 2 minutes till the raw smell of ginger disappears. Now add the green chilies and saute for a minute.
Add salt, then add the grated carrots, cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, followed by the green peas, and mix them well—cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
Once the peas are cooked, transfer them to a bowl and let them cool.
In another bowl, take the boiled grated potatoes, and add bread crumbs, amchur powder, and pepper powder.
Also, add the carrot-peas mixture and mix well with your hands or spatula.
Shape them to your desired shape, like I have shaped them like little hearts for Valentine’s Day dinner date.
Keep the shaped tikkis in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will prevent the tikkis from breaking while frying.
You can now deep fry the cutlets, or even shallow fry them as you desire.
Serve them hot with ketchup and green chutney, and enjoy them with your loved ones.
Some Expert Tips For Preparing Aloo Tikkis
- You can make the tikkis in the air fryer to use less oil.
- However, do not over boil the potatoes, or else it will not note the shape of the tikkis.
Heart Shaped Aloo Tikkis is very tasty recipe and it is very easy to prepare it. It is super delicious and it is a very flavorful recipe.
- 2 Potato – large boiled and pealed
- 2 Carrots – medium size peeled and grated
- 1 cup Peas
- 1 cup Fresh coriander leaves – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Ginger – finely chopped (you can use grated as well)
- 2 Green chilies – finely chopped
- 1 tsp Pepper powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Amchur powder
- 1 tsp Rock Salt (you can use table salt as well)
- Oil for frying
- Heat a kadai add 1tsp oil and add the chopped ginger.
- Saute them on low heat for 2 minutes till the raw smell of ginger goes now add the green chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add salt.
- Now add the grated carrots and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the green peas and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the peas are cooked transfer them to a bowl and let it cool.
- In another bowl take the boiled grated potatoes add bread crumbs, amchur powder and pepper powder.
- Also add the carrot-peas mixture and mix well with your hands.
- Shape them to your desired shape, I have shaped them like little heats as Valentine’s day is just round the corner.
- Keep them in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- You can deep fry the cutlets or even shallow fry them as you desire.
- Serve them hot with ketchup and green chutney and enjoy with your loved ones.
Keywords: heart shaped allu tikkis