Red Kidney Beans Burger
Beans are considered a “superfood” because they are among the most nutritious foods. Beans’ high fiber content helps protect against diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and possibly even some malignancies.
Beans are packed with plant protein and lots of fiber. It’s a must for weight loss and blood sugar regulation. So, here is a nutrition-packed tasty burger for your children and family.
What is Red Kidney Burger?
This is an American-style burger seasoned with Indian spices. The kidney bean patty is seasoned with Indian spices and served with a delightful, creamy mint sauce with veggies of your choice.
This kidney bean burger dish comes together quickly, and given the minimum work and fantastic (and healthy) results, they are ideal for midweek dinners. In fact, they’ve become a firm family favorite around here.
The burger patty has a crunchy outside and is soft, chewy, and tasty on the interior. The use of lightly mashed beans enhanced the texture of this patty. So, try making it for yourself.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
For Burger Patty
Red Kidney Beans (Rajma) – You can use canned kidney beans or dried, rehydrated kidney beans. If you are using dried beans, soak them overnight.
Spices – For the smooth Indian twist to the burger, I have used coriander powder and red chili powder.
Ginger-Garlic – I have used chopped ginger and garlic to elevate the flavors of the patty.
Cilantro or Coriander Leaves – My preferred herb, but parsley or even spring onion leaves will work just as well.
Oatmeal Flour – We need oatmeal flour to give the patty its desired shape. Because I am making the healthier version, I have used oatmeal flour; you can also use all-purpose flour.
For the Burger Layers
Burger Bun – You can use a homemade burger bun. However, if you use store-bought buns, you are preferred to buy whole wheat ones.
Vegetables – You can use any veggies as you wish. I have used:
- Lettuce Leaf
- Lime, for adding the tang
Mint chutney or Mayonnaise or Butter – You can use mint chutney, mayonnaise, or butter in the burger layering to add more flavors.
Cheese – Can you imagine a burger without cheese? I clearly can’t. I have used cheese slices in this recipe.
How To Prepare Red Kidney Beans Burger?
First, wash and soak the rajma overnight for best results (if using dried beans).
After 8 hours, drain and rinse the rajma under running water, transfer it to a pressure cooker, and add 3 cups of water and half a teaspoon of salt. Pressure cook the rajma for 4 to 5 whistles on medium heat, or you can boil on the stovetop for 30 to 40 minutes till tender.
Turoff the flame and remove the pressure cooker and open it only when all the pressure from the cooker is released. Then, drain and transfer the rajma. If you are using canned beans, this step will be skipped.
Mash the rajma with a masher and add salt, chili powder, coriander powder, finely chopped ginger, finely chopped garlic, coriander leaves, and oatmeal flour. Combine all the ingredients well to form a dough. Divide the dough into four portions.
Now oil your hands and shape each portion into a patty. The size of the burger patty should be as big as your burger bun; shape it accordingly.
Now heat a grilling pan and sprinkle some oil. Grill the burger patty till golden brown on both sides.
Apply mint chutney or mayo or butter to one half of the burger bun, then add the lettuce, burger patties, avocado slices, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, and cheese slices if using. You may top your burger with whatever you like, including microgreens and guacamole. Next, top the burger with mint chutney, Mayo, or butter on the other half of the bun.
I also made some sweet potato fries with my burger, which is optional.
Some Expert Tips For Preparing Red Kidney Beans Burger
- Ensure the heat is low enough that the burgers cook through without scorching on the exterior. Again, low and slow are preferable.
- A decent burger crust is vital for good texture and flavor.
- Cooking with oil, like any veggie burger, will produce the best and most delicious golden crust.
- You can toast the burger buns for more flavor and texture – there is no such thing as too much.
High Protein Rajma Burger is very tasty recipe and it is very easy to prepare it. It is super delicious and it is a very flavorful recipe.
- 1 cup – Red Kidney beans (Rajma)
- 1 tsp – Coriander powder
- 1 tsp – Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tsp – Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp – Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp – Lime juice
- ¼ cup – Poha thin variety
- ½ tsp – Red chili powder
- ½ tsp – Salt
- 1 – Burger bun
- 4 tbsp – Mint chutney or mayonnaise or butter
- 3 Avocado slices or 1 slice cheese
- Wash and soak the rajma overnight for best results. Or use two cans kidney beans, drained
- After 8 hours drain and wash the rajma under running water and transfer it to a pressure cooker and add 3 cups of water and half teaspoon salt. Pressure cook the rajma for 4 to 5 whistles on medium heat. Or you can boil on the stove top for 30 to 40 minutes till tender.
- Switch off the pressure cooker and open it only when all the pressure from the cooker is released.
- Drain and transfer the rajma..
- Mash the rajma with a masher and add salt, chili powder, coriander powder, finely chopped ginger, finely chopped garlic, coriander leaves, poha and mix well.
- Combine all the ingredients well to form a dough.
- Now oil your hands and shape the patty for the burger.
- The burger patty should be as big as your burger bun.
- Now heat a tawa/grilling pan and sprinkle some oil.
- Grill the burger patty till golden brown from both sides.
- Each side takes about 3 minutes each. Once done, remove from the fire and keep it aside on a plate.
- Let us now arrange the burger.
- Take one half of the burger bun and apply mint chutney or mayo or butter, add the burger patty, sliced tomatoes, avocado, sliced onion and cheese slice if using. You can add anything to your burger including micro greens and guacamole- it’s completely up to you.
- Apply mint chutney on the other half of the bun and close the burger by placing it on the burger.
- I made some sweet potato fries with my burger (optional)
Keywords: high protein burger buns