If there ever was an all-season comfort food, tomato soup would definitely be the one that most people have on their minds. The smooth, savory texture of this dish is enjoyed all around the year. Good tomato soup requires good technique. The ingredients are simple, and with a few instructions, you too can make an awesome bowl of tomato soup. One that will keep you coming back for more.
What is a Tomato Soup?
In the spring and summer, the bold and bright flavor of fresh tomatoes is just second to none. The creamy richness of the soup also makes it perfect for a cold winter night. This makes the dish so ubiquitous around the world that it’s available almost anywhere. The main technique involved in making this dish is mailing the texture of the soup. Too runny or too thick, and it won’t be the magical experience one craves for.
Notable Ingredients at a Glance
Tomato: You can use fresh or canned tomatoes in this recipe.
Vegetable Oil: Use any neutral-flavored oil.
Spices: Red chili powder, turmeric powder, black peppercorns, and black cardamom seeds. Cardamoms are a little hard to come by, but you can take them out from 2 cardamom pods
Ginger and Garlic: Ginger and garlic add a crucial aroma to the soup.
Big Onion: You should ideally use sweet onions. Shallots are also an acceptable substitute.
Butter: You can replace oil with butter. Butter makes the soup more delicious.
Sugar: If you do not use sugar, you can use any other sweetener.
Chopped coriander: Adds fresh aroma to the soup.
Fresh cream: If you want to keep the recipe vegan, you can use coconut cream as a substitute.
Bread slices: White bread or brown as per your preference.
Butter/Oil: You can use oil to toast the croutons, but butter makes it tastier.
How to prepare Tomato Soup?
The tomato soup has two parts to it. The soup itself and the croutons.
Starting with the soup, take a deep, wide pan and heat some oil in it.
Add in the tomatoes, red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, ginger, garlic cloves, black peppercorns, cardamom seeds, chopped onions, and some water.
Cook on medium flame, stir and cover for 10 to 15 minutes.
In another pan, you can add oil or butter and crisp up the pieces of bread. As they crisp up, you can add chopped coriander and mix them with the pieces of bread.
After 10 to 15 minutes, take the pan with the tomatoes off the heat and let them cool. Put the contents of the pan into a blender jar and blend until smooth.
In a pan, heat oil till it shimmers, and put the blended tomatoes back into it. Cook for approximately 5 minutes. Add some butter and stir. Cook for five more minutes until it’s done to your liking. Adjust for salt and sweetness with sugar.
Turn off the heat, and garnish with fresh cream, croutons, and coriander leaves. Serve with a crusty bread roll on the side.
Some expert tips for preparing Tomato Soup
- You can adjust the texture by varying the amount of water you add. If you want the soup to be thick, then add less water.
- You can substitute the fresh cream with coconut cream to make the entire recipe vegan.
A simple Homemade Tomato Soup with ingredients available at home and just right for the winter evenings.
- 4 Tomatoes – large ripe tomatoes
- 1 Onion – medium size roughly chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Fresh cream (optional)
- In a pressure cooker put tomatoes, onion and garlic cloves with 2 cups water.
- After one whistle reduce the flame and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Open the pressure cooker after the pressure from the cooker releases on its own.
- Let it cool down.
- Now pour the entire thing in a blender and blend it to a smooth paste.
- Transfer it to a pot and add a cup of water and salt.
- Bring it to a boil and let it simmer on low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add more water if you feel it is too thick.
- The soup should not be too thick or thin.
- Add pepper powder.
- Garnish with some fresh cream and enjoy
We must use ripe red tomatoes and not the unripe ones.
Unripe tomatoes will make the soup sour which we do not want.
Keywords: homemade tomato soup