Kadai Chicken is a delicious, spicy and flavourful Indian chicken curry dish made with freshly ground spices. This curry goes well with naan or any Indian bread.
- 800 gms Chicken
- 3 Tomato – pureed
- 1 tsp Ginger–Garlic Paste – heaped (½ tsp ginger and ½ tsp garlic)
- 1 Onion – medium size cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Rock Salt (you can also use table salt)
- 1 tbsp Kadai Masala
- 10 to 12 Red Chilies Whole
- 1 tbsp Pepper Corns
- 1 tbsp Coriander/Dhania Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin/Jeera Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel/Saunf Seeds
- Let us first prepare the Kadai masala
- Heat a pan add whole red chilies, pepper corns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds roast them on low heat for 2 minutes. The spices will release a nice nutty aroma, switch off the gas and keep it aside.
- Let it cool.
- Once it cools down, grind it coarsely.
- Keep it aside.
- Marinade the chicken with turmeric powder and salt for at least 2 to 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat a kadai add oil.
- Now add the tomato puree.
- Stir it well. Now add the ginger garlic paste, salt, chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Mix it all very well.
- Cook it on low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, the oil will start separating out.
- Now add the kadai masala and mix.
- Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Now add the chicken and mix well.
- Let all the masalas incorporate well.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in between so that the masala does not stick to the pan.
- Add onions and cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup water and stir well.
- Let it cook on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Kadai chicken is now ready to serve.
- Enjoy with roti, paratha or naan.
Keywords: kadai chicken