Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 30 Mins Total Time: 45 Mins
Mirchi ka Salan is very tasty recipe and it is very easy to prepare it. It is super delicious and it is a very flavorful recipe.
- 1 cup Coconut – grated (you can use desiccated coconut as well, in that case use ½ cup coconut)
- ¼ cup Peanuts
- 4 to 5 Garlic cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 tbsp Poppy/Khuskhus seeds
- ¼ tsp Methi/Fenugreek seeds
- ½ cup Water
- 7 to 8 Chilies – big ones cut diagonally or slit length wise
- 1 Onion – small finely chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin/Jeera seeds
- 8 to 10 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tbsp Tamarind paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Jaggery powder
- ½ cup Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Sesame oil (you can use refined oil or coconut oil but do not use mustard oil)
- Heat a kadai/pan dry roast peanuts, poppy seeds, methi seeds and grated coconut on low heat for 4 to 5 minutes till they turn golden brown in colour.
- Transfer them to a bowl and cool them completely.
- Once they cool down transfer them to a mixer grinder along with ginger, garlic and water.
- Make a smooth paste and keep it aside.
- Now heat a kadai add oil and saute the chilies for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat till they turn light brown on all sides.
- Take them out of kadai and keep them aside.
- Now in the same kadai add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves let them splutter.
- Add onions and fry them on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes till they turn transparent.
- Turn the heat low and add rest of the spices turmeric, red chili powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt.
- Saute on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add the ground masala and saute on medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the tamarind paste, jaggery powder and ½ cup water and mix well.
- Now add the chilies and cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot with some steamed rice or biryani.
Keywords: mirchi salan