Yields: 1 Serving Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 10 Mins Total Time: 20 Mins
Onion Chutney is a very delicious and simple traditional South Indian recipe. It is one of the favorite sides for idli and dosa.
- 2 Onion – medium size roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 sprig (10 to 12 leaves) Curry Leaves
- ½ cup Tamarind Water
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram/Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 to 5 Dry Red Chili
- 4 to 5 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tbsp Jaggery (you can increase or decrease the quantity as per your taste)
- 2 tbsp Oil
Tempering the Chutney
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Asafetida/Hing
- Heat oil, add chana dal, urad dal, garlic cloves and sauté on medium heat, then add cumin seeds, dry red chili, peanuts, onions and curry leaves.
- Sauté on medium for 4 to 5 minutes or till the onions wilt completely and change colour.
- Add salt and jaggery and keep cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Once done transfer it to a mixer jar add tamarind water and let it cool down completely.
- Grind to a smooth paste once it cools down.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Now let us prepare the tadka.
- Heat a pan add oil, mustard seeds and let it splutter now add asafetida.
- And put the tadka in the chutney.
- Serve with idli or dosa.
Keywords: onion chutney