Spiced Puffed Rice/Rice Krispy Savory
Puffed rice is a very common snack in Indian households. It is often used to prepare snacks such as bhel puri, murmura combination, or chivda. Today we will be making spiced puffed rice. It is spicy, light, and great in taste.
What is Spicy Puffed Rice?
Spicy puffed rice is a simple Indian snack made with puffed rice, peanuts, roasted chana dal, dry coconut, and traditional spices. It’s a deliciously crunchy snack recipe that everyone loves. This recipe calls for no special or unique materials, and it is not a time-consuming process.
It can be topped with onion, green chile, and lemon juice for a quick evening snack. So, give it a shot at home, and this homemade snack dish will undoubtedly be a hit.
The best part is that it’s a healthy, vegan, and gluten-free snack that’s perfect for tea or a small get-together.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
Puffed rice or Rice Kristy cereal – Puffed rice is typically produced by steaming rice kernels under high pressure. You will find it in any Indian grocery store.
Vegetables – For spicy puffed rice, you will need diced cucumber, diced tomatoes, chopped onions, boiled potatoes, and green chilies. Add green chilies according to your tolerance for spice; you can also skip it altogether.
Coriander leaves – The addition of chopped coriander enhances the flavor and aroma of the dish.
Sev mix – Sev is made of long, thin strands of gram flour that have been deep-fried and flavored. You can buy it from an Indian grocery store or get it online.
Spices – You will need roasted cumin powder, chaat masala powder ( a flavorful spice blend available in Indian stores or online), and red chili powder or paprika.
Salt – I have used black salt; you can also use table salt.
Lemon Juice – Lemon juice adds tanginess to the dish.
How To Prepare Spiced Puffed Rice?
Begin by boiling the potatoes. Cut them into cubes.
Add puffed rice, boiled potato, cucumber, tomato, onion, coriander, and sev mix to a mixing bowl.
Then add roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, black salt, red chili powder, and lemon juice and give it a thorough mix.
Serve immediately before the puffed rice turns soggy.
Note: You can also add roasted nuts if you are a nut lover.
Some Expert Tips To Prepare Spiced Puffed Rice
- Puffed rice quality is essential. However, it may be difficult to cook if it is soggy. So, while purchasing fresh puffed rice, always be sure to check the manufacturing date.
- You can roast the puffed rice to make it more crunchy. However, puffed rice has fragile skin and consequently burns easily when roasted. Always use a skillet with a thick bottom to avoid black markings on puffed rice.
- Store masala puffed rice in an airtight container to extend its shelf life.
Spiced Puffed Rice ( Rice Krispy savory treat) is very easy and simple to make and does not take much time. It is very flavorful and a must try!
- 3 cup Puffed rice( or Rice Kristy cereal. Puffed rice is available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced boiled potato
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 chopped chillies
- 1/4th cup sev mix ( can buy in Indian grocery store or online- it’s a crunchy savory trail mix)
- 1 ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- 2 tsp chaat masala powder( a flavorful spice blend available in Indian stores or online).
- 1/2 tsp black salt ( optional)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp lemon juice.
- Boil potato and cut in cubes
- Take a mixing bowl, add puffed rice, boiled potato, cucumber, tomato, onion, coriander and sev mix
- Add roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, black salt, red chilli powder, salt and lemon juice.
- Give it a mix
- Server immediately!!
Keywords: spiced puffed rice