Spinach Corn Sandwich
Breakfast sandwiches are popular because they are quick to eat and provide a substantial start to the day. When it comes down to it, one of the main reasons people enjoy sandwiches is that they are generally linked with comfort food. Comfort food can be rich and fulfilling, such as beef stew or homemade lasagna, but it can also be nostalgic. The best part of sandwiches is that it is super versatile; you can literally add any stuffing of your choice in between two bread slices, and you are good to go. So, here is a super easy and healthy sandwich recipe that you can grab on your go!
What is Spinach Corn Sandwich?
The Spinach Corn Sandwich is an excellent breakfast option that is also suitable for packing in children’s lunch boxes. I’ve been preparing this sandwich for a few years now, and we love it. You can make the healthy version with minor changes to the recipe.
Spinach and corn are a common combination, and I enjoy it in curries just as much as I do in this sandwich. Fresh spinach and sweet corn are cooked in a cheesy sauce. What else can we ask for?
This sandwich is very simple to prepare. It’s also a tasty way to consume your greens! Even those who dislike spinach would cheerfully consume this. Yes, cheese may make people eat things they would not typically eat! I only used one cheese piece for the two sandwiches I prepared, half for each, but you could easily use one cheese slice per sandwich. You can also use grated cheese in this recipe.
Notable Ingredients At A Glance
Bread – You can use any type of bread, such as white milk bread, brown bread, multigrain bread, or sourdough bread.
Spinach – Fresh baby spinach is best for sandwiches. However, frozen spinach can also be used.
Corn Kernels – You can use fresh or frozen sweet corn.
Dried Oregano Leaves – I have used dried oregano for seasoning. If you get fresh ones, you can use that too.
Garlic & Onion – Garlic and onion enhance the flavors and aroma of the sandwich. Onions add a nice sweetness to the sandwich.
Cheese – I enjoy using shredded mozzarella. You can also use Cheddar, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, or Gouda cheese.
Chili Flakes – Add in some chili flakes for some added spice.
Butter – Butter is used in the toasting of the sandwich If you’re vegan, substitute vegan butter or olive oil.
How To Prepare Spinach Corn Sandwich?
Start by thoroughly washing and cleaning the spinach leaves and then finely chop them.
Heat the oil or butter in a kadai and add the finely chopped garlic and onions. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat.
Now add the finely chopped spinach, corn kernels, and salt to taste. I only used half a teaspoon of salt because spinach contains a lot of natural salt. If you believe it is insufficient, add more later.
Cook the spinach for 6 to 8 minutes, covered. Mix in the dried oregano and chili flakes. The spinach will leak a lot of water; allow all of the water to evaporate, or the sandwiches will get mushy. When the water in the spinach has dried up, put it in a bowl and set it aside to chill.
Spread the spinach-corn mixture on the bread slices with shredded cheese or butter. Distribute it evenly.
Now, heat a grill pan, add butter or olive oil, and grill the sandwich. When one side is done, i.e., golden brown, flip to the other.
Your spinach corn sandwich is now ready to be served. You can enjoy it with some ketchup or green chutney.
Some Expert Tips For Preparing Spinach Corn Sandwich
- Brown or multigrain bread are healthier options.
- Toast the bread on tawa or use a sandwich machine or grill until golden and crisp.
- For this dish, I used mozzarella cheese solely, but a combination of mozzarella and cheddar cheese can be used. If you don’t have mozzarella, you can substitute processed cheese or grated paneer.
- While sauteing, you can also add onions, but this is entirely optional.
- If you are vegan, omit the mozzarella and replace it with vegan cheese. Use oil instead of butter.
- For this spinach corn sandwich, adjust the amount of spinach or cheese to your liking.
Spinach Corn Sandwich
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 sandwiches 1x
An excellent breakfast option that works well for lunchbox packing is the spinach corn sandwich.
- 4 slices of bread (any kind)
- 1 bunch palak/spinach (about 500gms or 1 pound).
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 4 tbsp grated cheese or butter
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter (additional)
- Wash and clean the palak leaves and finely chop them.
- Heat a kadai add oil.
- Add finely chopped garlic and onions and saute on medium heat for a 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add finely chopped palak, corn kernels and salt.
- I have added only half teaspoon salt as palak has lots of natural salt in it. If you feel it is not enough then add more.
- Cover and cook the palak for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add dried oregano and chili flakes and mix well.
- The palak will release a lot of water, let all the water dry up otherwise the sandwiches will turn out soggy.
- Once the water from the palak dries up, transfer it to a bowl and let it cool.
- Add grated cheese, or butter on the bread slices and spread the palak-corn mixture.
- Spread it evenly.
- Now heat a grill pan, add butter or olive oil and place the sandwich to grill. Flip to the other side when one side is done i.e. it is golden brown.
- Enjoy your Palak Corn sandwich with ketchup or green chutney.
Keywords: spinach corn sandwich