Jimmikand/Suran or Elephant foot is an extremely nutritious vegetable. It is extremely healthy for our gut as it provides gut friendly bacteria and is very good for people with diabetes.Here is a simple stir-fried recipe which can be eaten as a salad or with rice or roti.
- 500 gms Jimmikand
- 1 cup Coconut – grated
- 2 Green Chili – finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Ginger – finely chopped
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 10 to 12 Curry Leaves
- 10 to 12 Pepper Corns – 10 to 12
- 4 Round Red Chili
- ¼ tsp Asafetida
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil (you can use refined oil as well)
- 1 tsp Rock Salt (you can use table salt as well)
- Let us first wash the Jimmikand very well. Remove the skin and cut it into 2 cm cubes.
- Pressure cook it with a cup of water for two whistles. The Jimmikand should not get mushy but should be firm and soft.
- Open the pressure cooker only when the pressure is released. Keep it aside
- Heat a kadai add oil.
- Add round red chili, mustard seeds, once the mustard seeds start spluttering add chana dal, pepper corns, green chili and chopped ginger and saute on low heat.
- Now add salt, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Saute for a minute.
- Add the jimmikand, mix everything well.
- Cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add the grated coconut, stir properly so that everything incorporates well.
- Cover and cook for a minute or two.
- Stir fried jimmikand is now ready to serve.
- Enjoy it as it is like a salad or with rice and roti.
Keywords: stir fried jimmikand elephant foot