Sweet and Sour Tofu is very tasty recipe and it is very easy to prepare it. It is super delicious and it is a very flavorful recipe.
Sweet and Sour Tofu
- 200 gms tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 large onion, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 2cm cubes
- 7 to 8 green chillies, slit length wise
- 8 to 10 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1-inch ginger, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp sesame Oil (you can use any oil of your choice but not mustard oil or coconut oil)
Sweet and Sour sauce
- ¼ cup tomato ketchup
- ¼ cup honey (you can use sugar/jaggery)
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- ½ tsp salt (Be careful with the salt as tomato ketchup has salt in it)
- ¼ cup water
- Lets make the sweet and sour sauce first, in a bowl take tomato ketchup, honey, vinegar, corn starch, salt and water. Mix them all very well and keep it aside.
- Now heat a wok/kadai add oil, then add chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies. Sauté for a minute or two so that the raw smell of ginger and garlic goes.
- Now add tofu cubes saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add cubed onion and the bell peppers. Saute on high flame for 4 to 5 minutes as we do not want the capsicum to become too soft.
- Now add the sweet and sour sauce which we had made earlier and mix it all very well. Cook the sauce for 5 to 6 minutes or till it thickens a little.
- Let the sauce coat the tofu cubes very well.
- Check salt at this stage and add if required.
- I have taken 1/2tsp salt but added only ¼ tsp.
- If you feel the sauce is too dry add ¼ cup water.
- Mix all the ingredients well and let it simmer on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Your Sweet and Sour tofu is now ready to serve.
- Enjoy with hakka noodles or fried rice.
Keywords: sweet sour tofu