Tandoori Paneer Tikka
Delicious juicy pieces of Indian cottage cheese skewered and grilled with a spicy yogurt-based marinade. If you are vegetarian and you crave the grilled flavors of a tandoor, this recipe is made especially for you. The grilled goodness and spicy tangy flavor of this recipe are sure to bring you back for more.
What is Tandoori Paneer Tikka?
Tandoori style cooking, for those unfamiliar with Indian cuisine, is when marinated items or Indian flatbreads, in this case, paneer cubes, are strung on a skewer and cooked in a tandoor, which is a cylindrical clay oven. This method gives a slight charcoal flavor and is popular in Indian eateries. In this homemade variation, the paneer skewers are grilled in the oven, but they can also be baked. The yogurt-based marinade, which is unique to tandoori grilling, is used most of the time for tikka dishes.
Notable Ingredients at a Glance
Paneer – 1 kilogram or 2lb cut in 2 cm cubes. You can get paneer cubes prepacked at the supermarket.
Bell peppers – Get both Red and Green Bell Peppers, 2 of each kind. Cut them up into square chunks that can be skewered easily.
Onions – 2 onions cut into quarters and separated into layers. You should end up with petals of onion.
Sunflower oil – As required to prevent sticking
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tablespoons of Ginger Garlic paste is needed for this recipe. You can buy these packaged from the supermarket or just make your own fresh at home in a blender.
Lemon Juice – Lemon juice is an essential ingredient here so substituting it with lime juice concentrate is not advisable. You’ll need 3 tablespoons.
Yogurt – 500 gm or 1lb. You want the unsweetened variety. This would provide that tang without adding any sweetness.
Cornflour – ½ cup of cornflour for our thin but essential batter. This would crisp up in the oven to provide that delicious browned skin.
Spice mix – You’ll need to combine
Red Chili Powder – 2 tablespoons
Dried Fenugreek Leaves – 2 tablespoons
Turmeric powder – 2 teaspoons
Fennel seeds – 3 teaspoons
Cumin powder – 2 teaspoons
Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
How to prepare Tandoori Paneer Tikka?
Starting off we will cut the Paneer into cubes. If your paneer is pre-cubed you don’t need to adjust the sizes. Just go with what you got. As long as it’s close to 2cm it’ll cook evenly.
Cut the onions into Petals and the Red and Green bell peppers into squares.
Formulate the coating mixture by combining the coating ingredients mentioned above. The batter should be thin but not watery.
To coat the Paneer cubes, dunk them into the batter. Do not mix the Paneer in the batter as this might cause the cubes to break. After the Paneer has been coated, you can add the vegetables in as well.
Marinate the mixture for 30 minutes after which you can skewer them.
Put the skewered paneer and veggies with a thin layer of oil using an oil brush. Grill the skewers evenly for 10 minutes or until paneer and veggies are slightly charred.
Serve piping hot with coriander chutney.
Some expert tips for preparing Tandoori Paneer Tikka
- To introduce a stronger smoky flavor, you can heat up a charcoal briquette on your gas stove until red hot. You can put the piece of charcoal in a small glass bowl with a little bit of vegetable oil poured over it. You should see smoke emanating from this bowl. Put this bowl in the middle of the Paneer Tikka pan and cover with foil. The Smoky flavor gets transferred into the Paneer and vegetables.
Tandoor Paneer Tikka
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 28 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
Tandoor Paneer Tikka is very easy and simple to make and does not take much time. It is very flavorful and a must try!
Tandoor Paneer Tikka
- 1 kg (2 lb) Paneer (cut in 2 cm cubes)
- 2 red bell pepper (cut in square shape)
- 2 Green bell pepper (cut in square shape)
- 2 Onions (Cut each onion into 4 slices and take out the layers)
- Sunflower oil
- 500 gm ( 1 lb) yogurt
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ cup cornflour
- 2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 3 tbsp lemon
- Cut the paneer into cubes.
- Cut the onions, red & green bell peppers into squares.
- Now make the coating mixture by combining the coating ingredients.
- Coat the paneer cubes first and then the vegetables.(Don’t mix them together, paneer may break)
- Marinate the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Thread through skewer.
- Coat the skewered paneer and veggies with a thin layer of oil using the brush.
- Grill 10 minutes or till paneer and veggies are slightly charred.
- Serve with Coriander chutney.
Keywords: tandoor paneer tikka