Tricolor for all Indians is a color of pride, honor, respect, and above all, love for our country. On the occasion of Independence day and Republic Day, all Indians portray their love for its tri-color in various ways. This is my attempt to show my love for my country.
What is a Tricolor sandwich?
The tricolor sandwich is an Indian-style patriotic lunch concept with three layers of stuffing. Each layer is a representation of the Indian flag. The three layers of color are made with three different fillings: green with coriander chutney, white with mayonnaise, and orange with carrot and mayo.
This sandwich recipe is a no-cook dish that requires only a few ingredients. To make the combo a healthy snack, serve the sandwiches with your favorite hot beverage. So, this Independence Day or Republic Day, don some tricolor clothes and make this tricolor recipe to show your patriotism for the country. Also, if you’re looking for a colorful snack or want to brighten up your child’s tiffin box, this sandwich is a perfect choice. It is simple to prepare, healthful, and colorful. The ideal combo for obtaining an empty tiffin box.
Notable Ingredients At A Glace
Bread – Do not opt for brown bread if you are making the tricolor sandwich. The color won’t appear that appealing if you use brown bread.
Vegetables – This recipe will need carrots, onions, tomatoes, and green chilis.
Mint Leaves & Coriander Leaves (or Cilantro) – We require mint leaves and cilantro for preparing the green chutney. If you have pre-prepared green chutney in your refrigerator, you won’t need these.
Garlic – Garlic adds a nice aroma to the sandwich. Instead of raw garlic, you can also use garlic powder.
Cumin Powder – Cumin powder is required for preparing the green chutney.
Mayonnaise – Mayonnaise is the hero ingredient. It enhances the taste of raw vegetables and the sandwich filling. It also adds moisture to the sandwich making it more tempting.
Sugar – I have used sugar to balance the flavor of the fillings.
Butter – A sandwich without butter is a big no-no.
Food Color – Though the green and white color is easily obtainable using green chutney and plain mayonnaise. For the orange color, I have used orange food color in the carrot filling for the accurate saffron color. You can also use an equal mix of red and yellow food colors if orange isn’t available.
How To Prepare Tricolor Sandwich?
First, we will prepare all the spreads separately as per color.
For Orange spread:
Grate the carrots and mix them with most of the mayo. Add the orange food color, salt, and sugar, and mix well.
For Green Chutney:
Take mint leaves, cilantro, tomato, garlic, onion, green chili, cumin powder, salt, and sugar. Add some butter and mix well.
For White Spread:
Plain mayonnaise is what we will use for the white layer.
Take 3 slices of bread. In the bottom slice, apply the orange color carrot spread. Cover with a slice of bread.
Then apply the mayonnaise to the middle layer. Top it with another slice of bread.
On the top layer, add coriander mint chutney.
Slice the bread diagonally, flip the sandwich so the green layer is at the bottom, and enjoy the colors.
Some Expert Tips For Preparing Tricolor Sandwich
- Use fresh bread to make the sandwich more flavorful and tender.
- Layer on layers of tomato, cucumber, and potato for a multi-layered sandwich.
- Additionally, use a toothpick to keep the sandwich layers together.
- This tricolor or stacked sandwiches go well with tomato sauce.
- You can modify the spreads as per your choice. You can add paneer or corn, too, as per your liking.
Tricolor Sandwich – celebrating Indian Independence Day on 15th August and paying tribute to all the leaders for whom India is free today.
- 6 pieces bread (sides trimmed)
- 1 cup grated carrots.1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves ( cilantro)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 green chili
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Butter6 drops orange food color or an equal mix of red and yellow
- For Orange spread: Mix the carrots and most of the mayo – leave a tablespoon aside. Mix well. Add the orange food color.
- For Coriander Chutney: Blend mint, Coriander, tomato, garlic, onion, green chili, cumin powder salt and sugar. Add butter and mix well.
- Take 3 slices of bread. In the bottom slice, apply carrot paste. Cover with a slice of bread. Apply coriander mint chutney on top of middle slice.
- Take the top layer, apply mayonnaise and put it over the coriander chutney layer.
- Slice the bread diagonally, flip the sandwich so the green layer is at the bottom, and enjoy the colors.
Keywords: tricolor sandwich