Vegetable Chop is a very tasty appetizer. It is very simple and easy to make and is very healthy. Enjoy!
- 4 Potatoes – medium size boiled and peeled
- 1 Onion – medium finely chopped
- 250 gms French Beans – finely chopped
- ¼ cup Corn Kernels
- ¼ cup Green Peas
- ½ cup Fresh Coriander
- 1 cup Birista (optional, store bought)
- 2 Green Chili – finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bengali Garam Masala Powder (cardamom, cloves and cinnamon in equal quantities, grind them all together in a coffee grinder to a fine powder.)
- 2 tsp Corn Flour
- 2 tsp Amchur/Dry Mango Powder
- 2 tsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- Oil for frying
- Heat a kadai, add 1tbsp oil.
- Add onion, salt and green chili saute on low heat for a minute.
- Now add ginger paste and saute for two minutes till the raw smell of ginger goes.
- Now add French beans, corn kernels and green peas saute on low heat.
- Add half cup water if you feel that the beans is sticking to the pan.
- Cover and cook for two minutes.
- Crush the vegetables with a masher so that they become a little mushy.
- Dry up all the water from the vegetables.
- Allow it to cool.
- Once it cools down transfer it to a bowl, add sugar, pepper powder, amchur powder, garam masala powder, corn flour, potatoes, birista, fresh coriander and ghee.
- Now mash all the ingredients and form a dough.
- Mash them well to break all the lumps in the potato.
- Grease your palm and take small portions of the dough and shape the chop as you desire.
- I have given a slightly elongated shape to the chops.
- You can deep fry them or even shallow fry them on a girdle.
- Enjoy hot Vegetable Chop with tomato ketchup or imli chutney.
Birista is thinly sliced onions that are deep fried till they are crisp and golden in colour. They are used to garnish biryani, pulao, curries etc.
Keywords: vegetable chop