Rice and veggies are a time-tested combination that is present across hundreds of cultures and their cuisines across the world. But what if you have some leftover vegetables and you are craving a rice bowl for a quick and easy lunch? Drawing on the wealth of recipes throughout history and around the globe takes too long. That’s where from the royal cuisine of the Awadhi, Vegetable Tahiri offers a perfectly healthy and easy to cook option that can be whipped up quickly. Make this bowl and enjoy your lunch.
What is a Vegetable Tahiri?
Tahiri can be described as Biryani’s cousin. Tahiri is a clean, balanced, and nutritious dinner for the entire family that is frequently prepared in most Hyderabadi households. Cauliflower, peas, and potatoes are common vegetables to include in Tahiri. You may use whichever mixed vegetables you have on hand or your favorite vegetables. Awadhi cuisine’s Veg Tahiri is a combination of mixed vegetables, rice, and spices. This is a simple recipe to make. Creating tahiri or taheri appears to be similar to making pulao, but the dum cooking process distinguishes it. Taheri has a distinct flavor that differs from that of a vegetable pulao.
Notable Ingredients at a Glance
Rice – Use long-grained rice. Basmati rice is a common choice for this dish. But, you can use any other long-grain rice that is available near you.
Vegetables – The choice of vegetables in vegetable tahiri can be any. I have used potatoes, tomatoes, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, green peas, and green chili. You can add broccoli or any other vegetable of your choice.
Spices – Cumin seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, and garam masala are the spices you require in this dish.
Ginger – Ginger is a must in any Indian dish.
Fresh coriander – Add finely chopped fresh coriander for enhanced taste.
Ghee/Cooking oil – Ghee makes the dish more delightful. But, if you are vegan you can use any oil of your choice.
How to prepare Vegetable Tahiri?
Heat 2-3 tbsp oil/ghee in a cooking pot.
Add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let it splutter. After the cumin seeds are roasted, add 1 finely chopped potato and fry it while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
After the potato becomes lightly roasted, add cauliflower and fry it for 1 minute. Now add carrots, green peas, and green beans and fry for some more
Now add green chilies, ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder, tomato, and red chili powder and mix all the ingredients very well.
After all the vegetables are lightly roasted, add the rice and sauté for some more time. When the vegetables and rice are mixed well, add warm water.
Also, at this stage add salt, garam masala and cover the pot with a lid and let it cook on a low flame for at least 10 minutes.
Garnish the tahiri with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot tahiri with raita and green chutney.
Some expert tips for preparing Vegetable Tahiri
- Measuring the exact quantity of water required is essential for a good quality Tahiri. If you overshoot the mark, you’ll get mushy rice by the time the water dries out.
- Do not rinse the rice as thoroughly as you would with biryani. The starch of the rice enables the dish to come together just like in a risotto.
Vegetable Tahiri (gluten- free, vegetarian)
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 33 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
Vegetable Tahiri (gluten- free, vegetarian): This one pot meal is so nutritious and super yummy!
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 Potato – chopped into small cubes
- 1 cup Cauliflower – cut into florets
- 1 cup Carrots – diced
- 1 cup Green beans – cut 1 inch long
- ½ cup Green peas
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 Green chili
- ½ inch Ginger
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 2 Tomatoes – finely chopped
- ½ tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 cup Fresh coriander – finely chopped
- 2–3 tbsp Ghee/Cooking oil
- ½ cup Water – warm
- Heat 2-3 tbsp oil/ghee in a cooking pot.
- Add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- After the cumin seeds are roasted, add 1 finely chopped potato and fry it while stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- After the potato becomes lightly roasted, add cauliflower and fry it for 1 minute. Now add carrots, green peas and green beans and fry for some more time.
- Now add green chilies, ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder, tomato and red chilli powder and mix all the ingredients very well.
- After all the vegetables are lightly roasted, add the rice and sauté for some more time.
- When the vegetables and rice are mixed well, add warm water.
- Also, at this stage add salt, garam masala and cover the pot with a lid and let it cook on a low flame for at least 10 minutes.
- Garnish the tahri with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot tahiri with raita and green chutney.
Keywords: vegetable tahiri