Yields: 6 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 5 Mins Cook Time: 40 Mins Total Time: 45 Mins
I love vermicelli kheer or seviyan. Rich, fragrant, delicious! Only on special occasions do I make this treat!
- 2 ltrs (8.5 cups) Milk
- 1 cup Seviyan/Vermicelli
- 3/4 cup Sugar ( I used organic cane sugar)
- 7 to 8 Cardamom – ground into powder
- 10 to 12 cashew pieces and 15 to 20 raisins Dry Fruits and Nuts (you can add dry fruits of your choice like almonds, pistachios etc.)
- 4 to 5 Bay Leaves
- Heat a pan and dry roast the seviyan on low heat till the seviyan strands turn golden brown in colour. Keep stirring it continuously. Keep aside.
- Note: You can roast the seviyan in ghee also but I have dry roasted it.
- Now let us look at the process of making seviyan kheer.
- Take milk in a large vessel and bring it to a boil, once it starts boiling reduce the flame and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Also add bay leaves at this stage.
- When the milk reduces to half its quantity which will take about 20 to 25 minutes, add the vermicelli and keep stirring.
- Once the vermicelli gets cooked or softened add sugar.
- Now add the dry fruits and nuts.
- Stir it continuously and add the cardamom powder and mix it well.
- Let it bubble for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Switch off the heat and serve it warm or cold, garnished with some more dry fruits.
Keywords: vermicelli kheer